I was at a child’s birthday party the other day, and moms were standing around talking about We Choose Virtues. It was the first time I realized that other moms I know use them too. I’ve known about them for a few years and kept eyeing their products without actually purchasing anything. Then, a few months ago, I finally decided to buy their family kit and am really glad I did!
What is We Choose Virtues?
Simply, it’s a great tool to help me instill virtues in my children. Each of the virtues has a easily-memorized catchphrase that includes what the virtue does and does not look like. Each virtue also has a Bible verse, character, and corresponding story to help your child remember the virtue. There are 15 virtues including words like diligent, helpful, honest, and attentive. The catchphrase help me be able to pinpoint exactly what behavior we are (and aren’t) looking for in ourselves and our children. Sometimes, I find it hard to qualify what it is I want, but We Choose Virtues really helps with this.
The Parenting Cards are teaching cards for in your home. Each card contains 1 virtue as well as the catchphrase, lessons or activities, a Bible verse (in either KJV or NIrV), and what you could say to ask for forgiveness. If you only have the money to buy 1 thing, this would be it. You can do the whole program with just these cards if you want to. (This is what we’re giving away!)
We also have a 11x 17 poster of the Virtues. It’s a great quick-reference for the catchphrase if there is a virtue we need to work on or I want to point out how someone did it well. It’s also helping us memorize the phrases more quickly.
In the Family Kit, there are also other things including the smaller flashcards, the 3 rules poster, and the Kids of Virtueville Coloring Pages (a PDF download). I laminated all of my tools so that they’ll last for many years.
How do I use the different tools of We Choose Virtues in our home?
- The Parenting Cards are great for introducing the virtue and giving me ideas of how to teach the particular virtue. They also include the Bible verse so these are what we use first.
- The catchphrases (found on the parenting cards, flashcards, and poster) are said often as reminders of what to strive for. I also try to catch someone displaying a virtue and will say the catchphrase as part of praising them.
- The Flashcards are nice because I have my kids copy the virtue and catchphrase as copywork. Since more than one child is writing at a time, this gives another item to copy. I also think the flashcards will be great for games after we’ve learned all the virtues. The flashcards are also nice to slip on a child’s desk if they need to remember a particular virtue (like attentiveness). It’s a quick reminder for them to get back on task.
- The Virtues poster is a wonderful quick-reference. It also helps reinforce what we are learning since it hangs next to our table.
- The Coloring pages have been fun for my children and are helping them to continue thinking about the virtues and the character stories that go along with that virtue. The pages have also been great practice in diligence and perseverance since one likes to finish quickly but not well and another doesn’t like to finish.
I asked a friend of mine to share what she likes about We Choose Virtues, and here’s what she had to say, “My family decided to use We Choose Virtues this year and we love it. The parental cards are presented in a fun way for the kids to enjoy, but also get the message of virtues across to them. I definitely recommend them.”
Onto the giveaway:
We Choose Virtues is graciously letting me give away a set of Parenting Cards. They are going to send one set of Parenting Cards to the winner with your choice of version. See terms and conditions.
We Choose Virtues often has sales. Here are their latest sales.
MAY-JUNE: *Promo Code BIG50 for 50% off our amazing set of 12 11×17 Kids of VirtueVille Posters! This is the first time we have ever offered these posters at this price. They are great for Playrooms, Classrooms,and just about ANY room where kids hang out.
JUNE-AUGUST: *Promo Code BTS20 for 20% off anything in our WCV Store. This includes any product or kit. Let’s start School with Virtues this year!
This post contains affiliate links.